terça-feira, 2 de dezembro de 2014

The reading as a strategy for learn English

I have always loved literature. I have read lots of books during my life. Obviously that I read these books in Portuguese. But, recently, I have chose the literature as an important strategy to learn English.
Actually, I have other ways to learn English (differently from grammar books), for instance, watching movies and sitcoms with subtitles in English. Sometimes, when I have time I listen to music and read the lyrics to practice the language.
Currently, I am trying to read a good book in English because more than new words and idiomatic expressions, I will learn some social aspects and history of the countries where people speak English.
I am reading “Pride and prejudice” written by Jane Austen. The book tells us the love story between Elizabeth and Darcy, where both have strong personality but fall in love after some situations.


        I loved the characters! Elizabeth is amazing! She is very  intelligent, sensible and perceptive! It seems that she is a woman on the 21st century. About Darcy, he is handsome, rich and very “pride” male protagonist. But, the most important    thing is that he is a good man. In fact, he is a gentleman!
 What I think is the most interesting in this reading is the fact that the story was written more than 200 years ago, and the main characters are wonderful and current. It is incredible! Despite that some people say that the romantic hero was created from the author’s dolls , it does not change the importance of character.
There are accented different personalities between Elizabeth and her four sisters. Each one has a personality, abilities and behaviors different from each other. Besides that, through the reading, it is possible to think about the importance role of women on the society.
The story shows us some characteristics of the women who lived in England society on the 19th century. They worry about marriage, education, good manners, and their family. Currently, it is not much different despite they do many things that in the last century they could not do. For example working out, having right to vote and they are independent in many aspects.
 I am enjoying so much that book. I am very anxious to finish the reading because I want to watch the BBC miniseries. I heard that the miniseries are faithful to the book’s story, so it should be wonderful!
And you… do like to read? What kind of books do you usually read?  

                              Written by Anna Rosa Moraes.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário