quinta-feira, 4 de dezembro de 2014

Um peixe fora d’água
I never really enjoyed studying English. It has been always very difficult for me. I did not understand anything in English. Also, English was not an interesting language for me because it was not very similar to Portuguese - I am fascinated with Romance languages, such as Spanish and Italian.
Initially, in my Elementary School I did not learn English very well. It was tought in a mechanical way and we did not practice writing or reading in class. So, I did not recognize the importance of  studying English. For this reason, English has never fascinated me.
Some years later when I started to study Biology at UFPA, I found it difficult because all the articles, scientific studies, new Biology discoveries are written in English. “What will I do now”? I asked myself. Since then, I understood that English is essential and I must learn.
Then I had my first experience in an English course through “Inglês Sem Fronteiras”, this year. I started to study in the English Grammar Course. In the beginning it was terrible! I did not know anything in English and did not understand what the teacher and my classmates were speaking. For this situation, I would call it in Portuguese: “me senti como um peixe fora d’água”, this expression is used when you do not understand anything and for this reason you do not feel confortable in an place.
What did I do for change it? Well, I have been following some steps to learn English, such as practicing every day with others English’s students and by myself; also I review words, expressions, verbs, etc and do a list of achievements and goals that I desire. Undoubtely being patient and not giving up when I made mistakes helped me a lot in the learning process. All these steps are important but the most important thing you can do to learn a second language is believing in yourself.
And about today? So, I have been studying in the Writing and Reading Course, from “Inglês Sem Fronteiras” . It is other time which has been very important for me. I am learning some strategies to have a background knowledge in the reading and writing process.
Since then I have been perceived that I am improving gradually. Some times I cannot believe that I understand texts, songs and movies in English; or ever better: I understand what a native speaker says. However, I recognize that I need to learn more.
So, if you think that English is hard to learn, do not be afraid! You can start to study it even today. You will really be glad when you start understanding English! And about de old “peixe fora d’água”? The “Ingles Sem Fronteiras” with native and Brazilian teachers tought me how to jump in to the water.

By: Marcel Pires

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário